A couple months ago I had the idea that it would be nice to have a display in the kitchen to help the family be organized and coordinated. I wanted it to have a clock, school schedule information, calendar information, and a family Fitbit leaderboard and to power it with my Raspberry Pi.
While searching around I came across DakBoard which seemed close to what I wanted. It provides date/time information and displays calendar events. Additionally it can display weather information, but the really brilliant piece it has that I was missing from my idea was to display pictures. I immediately created an account to try it out, but unfortunately ran into some problems with the Dropbox integration and was unable to get support in the forum and my e-mails for help went unanswered–it seems not much is happening with DakBoard. Since the code isn’t open source and it didn’t provide for my requirements, I went about creating my own “BakBoard”.
The above picture is a screen shot I took of BakBoard this evening. It currently has the following features:
- Date/time in the top left.
- School information in the top right. If it is before 4:00pm, it displays the schedule for the current day and after 4:00pm it displays the schedule for the next day. The service that provides the school schedule information is described in this post.
- Calendar information on the bottom. It provides five days of information: the current day and the next five days.
- Fitbit leaderboard on the right. Currently it just has the avatar and number of steps.
- Picture is the background for the entire board. The pictures come from from selected subdirectories in my DropBox folder. The picture changes every 10 seconds.
It remains a work in progress and I’m learning a lot, but already the family enjoys having the BakBoard display in the kitchen. In future posts I may describe how things are implemented, what I’ve learned in the process, and new features added.